Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy:
- Eligibility – 15% decline in revenue for month of March (rather than 30% as originally announced) will qualify employers for the subsidy. A 30% decline will still be required for subsequent periods.
- Eligibility – Employers may also use January or February of 2020 as the benchmark for decline in revenue.
- Eligibility – NPOs and Charities will have the option to include/exclude government funding in calculating revenue.
- Aiming to deliver this program within 3 weeks.
- Parliament will need to be recalled to pass legislation on this subsidy.
Benefits for Individuals:
- The Prime Minister repeated his previous comments that the CERB (Canada Emergency Response Benefit), while helping many Canadians, does not reach everyone who needs assistance
- The Government is looking at extending support to seniors, students, individuals who experience a drop in income but are still earning limited amounts, and those working in long term care
- Enhancements to the Canada Summer Job Program, including:
- 100% subsidy for students;
- Extend job placements to winter to consider jobs starting later; and
- Extend program to allow for part-time workers.